Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Central Park CRCA Club Race-April 12, 2008

Nice shot of Maria after a weekend of hard racing


Sunday, April 13, 2008 Central Park

It was a damp morning with slippery roads. Not the best day to have hill sprints up Harlem Hill. There were a good number of women at the start line considering the weather. Elena, Ashley, Cecelia (she's back!!) and myself represented the team.
The first lap didn't have the hill sprint, but Ann Marie took off on the hill and we all chased her down. On the descent to the second hill (the first hill sprint), there were ambulances on the right and riders and bikes on both sides of the road. Chaos! We all slowed down until the bottom of the hill and I took off early, just wanting to get away from everything and everyone. I ended up giving Sarah a great leadout by mistake! She took first in the sprint and I took 2nd. The following lap had another crash and a bike was in the middle of the road. A few of us shouted to the group about it, but a rider didn't see it and went down. I ended up taking 2nd in most of the hill sprints, Cecelia got us some points on one of the hill sprints and Elena took 3rd in the final sprint. At the line, I got 4th and Cecelia and Ashley were also in the top 10. With all of the points added up from the hills and the finish, Sarah took 1st, I took 2nd and Nancy took 3rd. As a team I believe we not only kept our lead, but also may have increased it by a few points. A scary race, but we all stayed upright and felt we raced well as a team.







No comments: