Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Radical Does it Again-Report By Maria

Sturbridge Road Race Pro123 4-26-08

Ashley, Erica, Elena and I represented the team in the P123 field. 45 miles, 3 laps. The new course had plenty of climbing and the finish line was at the end of a 3-4 mile climb.

The field was together on the first lap but broke up on the climb. At one point I found myself taking lots of wind up front and Erica jumped in to rescue me right when I needed saving. What a teammate! Our group was about 1/3 of the field on the second lap and included Elena, Ashley and myself. We did a fast rotating paceline to assure no stragglers joined us and maintained our tight little group until the finish line.

The pace throughout the race was challenging. I was happy I left my HR monitor in the car! I wouldn't want to know what numbers were appearing on the little screen. When we hit the final climb I waited for Anna Milkowski or Beth Miller to attack. I knew that they both were amazing climbers and one of them would be first to go. I got on a Terry Bikes girl's wheel as we approached the summit. I wanted to come around her so badly, but I kept repeating "patience, patience, patience" to myself. It was a head wind coming up the climb and Terry girl was tall and a perfect draft. Then, Anna went at around 200m, and a Terry girl followed her immediately. I came around The Terry girl as fast as I could, and made some ground toward the line, but couldn't get them. I almost pulled off 2nd since that racer's chain dropped just feet from the line, but she was far enough ahead that her placement was safe by a good wheel's length.

As a team we did awesome! No question we were the best team out there with 3 top ten finishes. Me in 3rd, Elena in 6th and Ashley in 9th!!!! Amazing team work and presence. :)

No comments: